Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Ellie, my first doll


This is Ellie.  She was the first doll I ever made. As you can see, she is pretty straight forward. A simple small pillow shape with two tiny pillow shape arms , some yarn hair and felt for her eyes ,cheeks and mouth. Apparently , I didn't think it was necessary for Ellie to have a nose! At some point in her life , Ellie lost her left eye....oh well. I also am remembering that I slipped using the scissors and accidentally gashed her back , never to be repaired. I can see that I must have used one of my Mother's stockings for stuffing. Ellie is dressed in a simple cotton shift, which is NOT sewn on the sides. I guess that didn't seem necessary either.


My youngest daughter, Ariel was searching through some things in the attic, when she came upon Ellie. She was in love. I gave her Ellie's history and from that moment on Ellie was hers! Who can say what moves us? Ellie had won Ariel's heart.

When I went to get Ellie to take her picture, I had to call my daughter and ask where she was. My daughter made me promise to put her back where I found her , right after I was done taking the picture. I found Ellie in her jewelry box!

I should also mention that Ellie had a mother. She also is made in the same pillow shape with little pillow arms and felt features. I probably used another of my Mother's stockings for her stuffing. She is buried in another box of my childhood things in the attic. Both Ellie and her mother lived in a wonderful cardboard house that I made for them ....long gone. I had many happy hours playing with Ellie in that house, making her do all the crazy adventurous things I couldn't do . Ellie was fond of sneaking out of her bed and jumping around on the cardboard roof!  I think she survived pretty well considering those adventures.

I know all you dollmakers out there can relate to my little Ellie!

7 comments:

  1. Peggy I am so glad you have a blog! I love your dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a wonderful story...I was always making dolls when I was small , but haven't been very good at it since I have been grown....I have made a few in my day though :) Love your little Ellie.....blessings

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have enjoyed getting to know you a little better through Edyth's lovely blog at My Red Cape. What a lovely time all of you must be having! I am a huge admirer of your dolls and have loved visiting them in their new home at Corgyncombe Courant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dear Peggy,

    We can see why your daughter cherishes Ellie so! What wonderful times you must have had playing with her in the dollhouse that you made! You had marvelous imaginative and creative beginnings in doll making and play!

    Your friends,
    Diane and daughter Sarah, and all your wonderful dolls who fill Corgyncombe with such joy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peggy,
    What a wonderful story! I love that you still have Ellie and her mom. How old were you when you made her?
    Pug hugs : )
    Lauren
    P.S. I have a Jack Russell Terrier named Ellie :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful that Ellie still exists! I can't wait to see your other dolls.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so happy that Edyth introduced you to us in her Blog and that you are now Blogging as well. Look forward to more posts on your dolls. ~Christine

    ReplyDelete